Use of the Google maps API now requires a Gmail account (registration) and a credit card. This is due to Google deciding to charge for the use of the map data and hence the API.
Though there is a threshold that must be exceeded before charging starts, and most small sites will not exceed this; your credit card details are stored in yet another place on the web.
So if you decide that you do not want to give Google your credit card details, then the Divi Map module is no longer useful.
But there is an alternative that is free and does not require credit card details, and it comes from Google!
It is the Google ‘Maps Embed API’.
You will still have to have a Gmail account and register for an API, but it works rather well.
- Log into your Gmail account
- Go here to setup your map: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/start
- If you need a API, there is a link on the left hand side menu or go here: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/get-api-key
- Enter in an address or search details
- When the map shows the appropriate area, select one of the 4 options below the search box
- Click on ‘Looks Good’
- Enter in your API key when requested
- Copy the code (iframe<…) from the code box at the bottom
- On your Divi page or post, add a code module and paste the code into the module content box
- Add styling etc. and save
This will provide a simple single point map suitable for event pages, office and shop locations etc.